Nandana Fort is going to become a new tourist attraction in Pakistan. The area will have 8 tourist attractions for the tourists. This mega project has been launched by Prime Minister Imran Khan.
Located in the District Jhelum and surrounded by beautiful mountains, Nandana Fort is 1500 years old fort situated at the top of the mountain. The word Nandana means ‘Lord Vishnu’s garden’ in Sanskrit. The Nandana Fort is the next tourist attraction that you go for.
History of Nandana Fort
Nandana Fort is a hidden gem located near the foothills of the Salt Range in Pakistan. Most of the people are unaware of it. Here we are going to provide you with a deep insight into Nandana Fort’s history that will help you understand its importance as a tourist attraction.
- Nandana Fort was built in the 8th century during the Hindu Shahi Dynasty. It is located at a very strategic location in the salt range to prevent any kind of attack or invasion.
- Another purpose of building this fort at this location was to prevent the route that joins India with Afghanistan and Central Asia.
- Nandana Pass was the route that Alexander and his army used to fight against the famous Hindu King, Raja Porus.
- In the 11th century, Mahmood Ghaznavi invaded this area.
- In 1017 CE, the Persian scientist Abū Rayhān Al-Bīrūnī visited this place. Moreover, this is the place where Al-Bīrūnī stayed and found the circumference of Earth.
- Later, Mongols and Mughals ruled this area.
- This area remained the hunting ground of the Mughal Emperors Akbar and Jahangir. Moreover, both of the emperors have stated this region in their travelogues too.
A New Tourist Attraction
As it is known, Pakistan’s PM Imran Khan has a clear vision to increase tourism in the country. In this regard, he launched a heritage trail at Al-Bīrūnī site in Jhelum’s Nandana Fort. According to Imran Khan, this initiative will boost tourism and generate job opportunities for the locals.
While addressing the ceremony, Khan said,
“Unfortunately, we did not develop and preserve our archaeological sites. We have to protect these sites for our coming generations and the world to attract tourists from across the globe as tourism is a big source of employment and earning revenue”.arynews.tv
It is the mission of Imran Khan to bring forward the hidden tourist places of Pakistan in front of the world.
The Chairman of Pakistan Tourism Development Corporation Mr Zulfi Bukhari, Federal Minister for Science and Technology Mr Fawad Chaudary, and Chief Minister Punjab Mr Usman Buzdar were also present at the ceremony.
According to the National Tourism Strategy 2030, Government is pointing out the places that not only depicts the history and heritage but boost the economy of local residents and the country.
Furthermore, Nandana Fort tourist attraction will open gates for international tourists in this region. Moreover, the Government is planning to launch a mega package for the site to provide the travelling and residential facilities.
Zulfi Bukhari said that a national park will be constructed here. He further explained that the Govt is planning to merge 8 tourist attractions in a single package that will be named ‘The Radius’. ‘The Radius’ will have 8 tourist attractions including Nandana Fort, Nandana Temples, Khewra Salt Mines, Katas Temples, Takht-i-Babri, TDCP Kalar Kahar, Malot Fort and Malot Temples.
According to Zulfi Bukhari, this will be a 2-3 days tour that will cover the 8 tourist attractions. Further, he vowed to install a zipline too. Hence, the zipline will take the tourists to the top of the hill of Nandana Fort.
Nandana Fort is a world-renown rich historical place and it has several tourist attractions in its adjoining areas. If this initiative of Imran Khan executed successfully, then this place is going to marvellous changes in the coming years. People around the world will love to travel here when they will come to know that this was the place where Al-Biruni measured the circumference of the earth.